If you are travelling to Cuba as a tourist you are required to hold a ‘Tourist Visa’, sometimes called a ‘Tourist Card’. Each traveller must have their own visa and this includes children (even if they are travelling on their parents passport). The Tourist Visa is valid for one single entrance for a 30-day trip and can be extended while in Cuba if needed.

For Canadian residents:

The tourist visa is generally provided by tour operators or airlines, or can be obtained from a Cuban government office in Canada in the case of privately organized flights. It can also be purchased at certain airports in Canada.

Visitors are prohibited from undertaking business activities when travelling on a tourist visa.

If you intend to stay at a private residence or do business while in Cuba, check with the Cuban government office in Canada prior to departure.

The Cuban Government have an office in Ontario –
Address: 388 Main St. Ottawa, Ontario, K1S 1E3
Phone: (613) 563 0141
Fax: (613) 563 0068

Canadian tourists who were born in Canada may stay in Cuba for up to six months, but must check in with immigration authorities or with a tourism office in Cuba prior to the 90th day of their stay to apply for an extension. Canadian tourists who were born outside Canada may be treated differently by Cuban officials and may be informed that they can only stay for 30 days, even though they are travelling on a Canadian passport.

For UK residents:

There are three ways to get a Tourist Visa;

1. In person
You can visit the Cuban Consulate in London. You will need to bring the following documentation.

  • A passport for each person travelling
  • A photocopy of each persons flight and accommodation tickets or flight and accommodation booking confirmation
  • The fee is £15 per person payable in cash or Postal Order.

Opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.30am to 12.30pm (except UK and Cuban bank holidays) and the process should take no longer than 30 minutes.

The consulate address is below.

2. By post
You need to send the following documentation to the Cuban Consulate in London along with the appropriate fee.

  • A completed Tourist Visa Application Form
  • A photocopy of each traveller’s passport
  • A photocopy of each persons flight and accommodation tickets or flight and accommodation booking confirmation
  • The fee is £15 per person plus a £19 administration charge. Please send a Postal Order. DO NOT SEND CASH.
  • A stamped addressed envelope for the visa to be returned to you.

3. Via your tour operator
Some tour operators may offer to arrange your Tourist Visa and you will need to provide the same information as detailed above. There may be an additional charge if the visa is arranged by your tour operator and the Consulate recommend you apply directly with them either in person or by post.

The consulate address is;
167 High Holborn
Tel: 020 7240 2488
Nearest tube station: Holborn

Passport Validity
Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry into Cuba. UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Cuba.

Customs regulations
It has been known for Cuban customs to confiscate electrical items with a heavy power consumption like travel irons and kettles. Confiscated items are normally returned on departure. It may be worth a phone call to the consulate to check if you are planning on carrying something unusual to Cuba.

Departure Tax
You must pay an airport departure tax, in local currency of 25 Convertible Pesos (CUCs) per person when leaving Cuba.

Back to Useful Info